Friday, December 4, 2009

LILY'S DANCE PARTY


Back in the day, my sister and I used to do “the egg dance” in the living room. She (the egg whites) would dance in a circle around me (the yolk), typically to the accompaniment of several ABBA albums or the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER soundtrack.

Anyway, since my sister is now raising her daughter at the old homestead, I was inspired to make a dance mix for my niece’s second birthday to celebrate that connection. It’s never too early to start with the dancing. (James and Ron always bring up the cookie dance I stupidly told them about.)

Gay uncles rule!

Below are the combined track listings and insert text.

LILY: MOMMY & I USED TO DANCE AROUND THE LIVING ROOM TO SOME OF THESE TUNES

1. ALICE EVERYDAY, Book of Love

Other girls with cool names you can invite over for tea and conversation.

2. PROVE YOUR LOVE, Taylor Dayne

Sassy big-haired diva dance. This chick had a huge mouth!

3. DANCING QUEEN, ABBA

Not my favorite ABBA tune but a classic nonetheless.

4. PLEASANT VALLEY SUNDAY, The Monkees

Fast, bouncy tune about living in suburbia. Jump around!

5. IF I CAN’T HAVE YOU, Yvonne Elliman

This song has it all: violins, French horn, flute…one of my all-time favorites!

6. CARS, Gary Numan

Maybe you can act out car-related movements in a trippy way.

7. COME GO WITH ME, Exposé

Ignore the stupid timbales at the beginning and the weak vocals. Just go with it.

8. KIDS IN AMERICA, Kim Wilde

Do a tough dance like you’re wearing a leather jacket and ripped clothing. “In your face!”

9. TRAGEDY, The Bee Gees

Why did I love this song when I was a kid? Bleah…

10. CRUSH ON YOU, The Jets

This reminds me of dancing with Liz in high school. You know her!

11. TOGETHER FOREVER, Rick Astley

I thought you needed to hear a baritone voice, for once.

12. LUCKY STAR, Madonna

Cool beginning, then listen for the claps and keyboard BOINKS on the chorus.

13. LOVE IS IN THE AIR, John Paul Young

Optimist anthem from Australia with nice ascendant line before each chorus.

14. IT’S A FINE DAY, Opus III

More optimism about tonight and tomorrow. Definitely trippy!

15. OH L’AMOUR, Erasure (Matt Darey Mix)

Start off in slow motion, then FREAK OUT! Could that be Cousin Nathaniel and Uncle Paul jamming on the drums?

Those of you who knew me back then may be surprised that I didn’t include my ultimate dance tune, Janet Jackson’s CONTROL. I agonized over this decision, but in the end, I thought it was a little early for Lily to hear lyrics about declaring independence from one’s parents.


No comments: