Monday, November 30, 2009

WHOLE FOODS HYSTERIA

After many months of breathless waiting by the yuppie masses, the new Whole Foods outpost finally opened in Noe Valley on September 30th. BFD!

In honor of its two-month anniversary, I am proud to announce that I STILL HAVE NOT SET FOOT in that goddamn store. 

Yes, I've desperately needed milk for my pastry addiction on more than one occasion, but not free-range goat milk from New Zealand, extracted by sufficiently warm hands and candlelight. So I have to rely on Safegay (Church & Market), Se Fue (29th & Mission), or even Walgreen's (gulp).

I knew all was lost in early September when a crowd gathered to marvel at the re-paved parking lot, which was marked off with yellow CAUTION tape. Yes, like a crime scene...complete with slack-jawed dolts taking pictures. They had these weird, predatory smiles on their faces, like a wolf drooling and licking its chops in an old cartoon.

Of course, I promptly called Tommy to make snarky comments. He's my partner in crime, the Statler to my Waldorf (Muppet Show reference for you young people), and a fellow Noe Valleyian.

On opening day, I called Tommy to laugh at all the pretentious assholes promenading up and down 24th Street with their WHOLE FOODS bags. He confirmed my worst fears, reporting that he saw the same thing over the hill in the Castro. Oh, come on...do we need another status symbol? Are WHOLE FOODS bags the new children?

It's true that we should be somewhat grateful in this economy that Whole Foods has hired lot attendants to cut down on parking-related brawls. From what I've seen, they're really good at their job in terms of managing cars, SUVs, and delivery trucks. However, where they see a driveway, I see a fucking sidewalk! So they'll wave cars in without "noticing" that a pedestrian is walking in front of said car. Glare, head snap, tongue cluck!

I guess these annoying yuppies are the price one pays for living in a safe urban environment. I sometimes try to defend Noe Valley when people start ragging about "dodging strollers and leashes" on the sidewalk, but I find myself doing exactly that, especially during my Saturday morning routine (the subject of an upcoming entry).

Apologies to Seattle Matt for this rant, who currently works in the Whole Foods corporate office.

http://www.slate.com/id/2138176/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/02/business/02food.html

No comments: